Inspiring the Future is offering free virtual interactive sessions to allow young people to engage with volunteers from the world of work remotely. These sessions aim to mirror in-school activities, helping to show students the broad range of jobs available, motivating them by showing the link between learning and the wider world and inspiring them to believe in their future potential.
The 40-minute sessions, which run via online webinar platforms, give schools and young people access to thousands of volunteers across a wide range of job roles, levels and industries. Facilitated jointly by teachers and Inspiring the Future staff, the activities are bespoke and designed for each school to get the most out of their session.
Secondary schools can book in for a ‘Careers Chat’. During this live activity, volunteers give short presentations about their career journeys before taking questions from young people who want to discover more about their experiences. Students take part in career-related polls and quizzes throughout to encourage engagement and reflection on what they are hearing.
Inspiring the Future developed the offer in collaboration with teachers and volunteers to ensure a quality, effective plan that works for everyone involved. As safeguarding is an absolute priority for schools, activities have been tailored to strictly meet these requirements. Schools are also supplied with resources and activity ideas to help students prepare for and reflect on the session.
Here’s how it works:
- Schools can sign up here, on a date and time of your choice
- The Inspiring the Future team will get in touch to book in a planning call prior to the activity to discuss safeguarding and talk through the technology and format of the session
- With the help of the team, ensure students have the necessary login details or join the session with your class in school
- Three to four volunteers present their career stories and young people ask them questions about their experiences
- Students who are unable to join on the day can download the session to watch later
- Fill in a quick survey to help further develop the virtual interactive sessions and measure the impact for your students
Schools can also sign up for sessions focusing on specific employers, sectors and pathways with employers including the NHS, Bank of America and BT – get in touch to find out more.
Sessions are offered all across the UK, and may be particularly valuable for rural schools who could face distance and availability barriers when planning in-person sessions.
Teacher guides and new support materials are available on the online portal to help you find out more – please log in to see them.