“I was really nervous, I thought the technology might not work and the children might sit there and not have any questions… but just do it. It’s been brilliant.” – Tracey Page, Headteacher at Stephenson Way Academy
Over the past few weeks, schools have created a range of virtual activities with Inspiring the Future volunteers providing their students with engaging sessions that motivate, inspire and reassure young people about their futures at this uncertain time. Take a look at what teachers have been planning, find out how your students can hear from inspiring NHS heroes via our free pre-recorded resource, and register for our upcoming teacher CPD on STEM activities with volunteers in the aviation sector.
Schools have been able to select from thousands of virtual volunteers to suit their bespoke needs and meet Gatsby Benchmarks. Here are just a few of the activities that have taken place recently:
- Banff Academy in Aberdeenshire hosted a session with one volunteer, where students had the chance to hear detailed insights from a professional working in Project Management.
- Students at Bishop Veseys Grammar School heard about the career journeys of four volunteers in the Aviation industry, including speakers from Boeing, the RAF, Manchester Metropolitan University and the Civil Aviation Authority.
- A Derby school has developed a virtual mentoring programme enabling Year 12 students to hear 1:1 about career pathways, training, tips and work experience opportunities.
- A college in Lewisham is planning weekly talks to business students where they can learn about the job roles of different volunteers, with a focus on the educational pathways and different routes available to them.
How have teachers found their virtual experiences so far?
Andy at Blessed Hugh Farringdon School recently hosted a career talk with his Year 11 classes. Via a teams meeting projected into different classrooms, the students heard from six volunteers from diverse job roles – including employees in the NHS, the Cabinet Office, and a university professor.
Not sure how to plan your event?
- We have plenty of resources available on the portal – including a step by step guide to creating your Careers Chat activity. Simply log in and click the ‘Resources’ icon on your homepage.
- Our team is here to help! Please get in touch with us if you have any questions or ideas when planning your activity.
NHS pre-recorded Careers Chat
Your students can hear from everyday heroes working in the NHS! Our free pre-recorded 30-minute video enables students to learn about a wide range of careers in healthcare, and further their understanding of the pivotal jobs of frontline workers. Fill in this form to receive the chat, accompanied by a lesson resource with suggested activities to aid learning and reflection.
CPD: How to use virtual volunteers from Aviation to inspire students’ in STEM
Thursday 26 November at 2.30pm
In this CPD webinar, you will learn about our campaign to engage a broader range of diverse volunteers from Aviation and how you can create meaningful virtual employer engagement activities with the wide spectrum of aviation volunteers available on the platform. Learn about virtual activities with volunteers in Aviation, and go through a simple step by step demonstration of how to create memorable virtual activities. You’ll also have the opportunity to ask our guest panel some questions.
No account? Sign up now